Through the Mobile County Down Payment Assistance Program, qualified individuals can receive a grant for between $1,000 and $10,000 to help cover costs associated with the down payment and closing. This program is funded by the US Department of Housing and Urban Development.
In order to qualify, applicants must either be first-time homebuyers or participating in the New Construction Affordable Homes Program.
As of 2020, the annual household income limits are:
- 1 person household: $18,901 to $30,200
- 2 person household: $21,601 to $34,500
- 3 person household: $24,301 to $38,800
- 4 person household: $26,951 to $43,100
- 5 person household: $29,151 to $46,550
- 6 person household: $31,301 to $50,000
- 7 person household: $33,451 to $53,450
- 8 person household: $35,601 to $56,900
The house being purchased using this grant must be the applicant’s primary residence for a minimum of 5 years and cannot be a mobile home, condominium, townhouse, or duplex or multiplex unit.
The house must also be located in Bayou la Batre, Chickasaw, Citronelle, Creola, Mount Vernon, Prichard, Saraland, Satsuma, Semmes, or the unincorporated areas of Mobile County.
Other programs in Alabama: